SWMCOL Codrington Pan Family added three more national titles to their list of achievements when the emerged winners at the National Steelband Music Festival – Pan Is Beautiful XI – Minor (Single Pan Band) categories.
Playing their own composition “From Kumasi to la Trinidad – Adapted for Single Pans” and test piece ”Rose”, Pan Family amassed 553 points copping “Best Test Piece”, “Best Tune of Choice” and Single Pan Band winner at last Friday’s pan festival at La Joya Complex, St. Joseph.
The East Dry River based family band led by Cary Codrington was one of nine (9) participants that faced the adjudicators in a keenly- contested event of musical skills. Taking home the “Best Dressed” title was Marsicans. (See full list of winners)
On Saturday, Stryke Stars Steel Orchestra made a clean sweep in the Ensemble category also taking home the “Best Tune of Choice”, ”Best Test Piece”, and Overall winner in their Class. Playing “Message from the Drum” and “Education”, Stryke Stars had a 47 point lead over their nearest rival, Tamana Pioneers. Achaiba’s South Stars was judged the “Best Dressed Band”.
Adjudicators were Joanna Shortt, Lambert Philip, Michelle Huggins-Watts, Christine Mosaheb and Louis Nurse (Saturday only.
SINGLE PAN BANDS – Test Piece “ROSE”
1. SWMCOL Codrington Pan Family From Kumasi to la Trinidad 553
2. All Aces Symphony No 4 in G Minor Second Movement 536
3. Marsicans Theme From Magnificent Seven 505
4. Trinidad Nostalgic Excerpt from Holberg Suite 498
5. New Age Trendsetters Green Leaves of Summer 467
6. Dem Boys Somewhere 463
D’Original Woodbrook Modernaires California Strut 463
8. Jah Roots Jamming 380
9. Ice Water Soucouyant 330
ENSEMBLES - Test Piece –“EDUCATION”
1. Stryke Stars Steel Orchestra Message from the Drum 540
2. Tamana Pioneers Pint-O-Wine 493
3. Achaiba’s South Stars Symphony #5 475
4. NLCB Fonclaire Day Dream 462
5. Longdenville Claytones Don’t Rock It 457
6. New Generation Overture to Light Cavalry 462
The National Steelband Music Festival – Pan is Beautiful XI - culminates with the Orchestra category on Sunday 30th November 2008 at the Jean Pierre Complex, Wrightson Road, Trinidad, from 6:00 pm. Eight (8) steel orchestras,
bp Renegades, CLICO Sforzata, Courts Sound Specialists of Laventille, Our Boys Steel Orchestra, Sagicor Exodus, Siparia Petrotrin Deltones, Solo Pan Knights and Tropical Angel Harps, are listed to perform the test piece “Document Pan” and A Piece of Choice.
Share on Facebook
the news desk of A. Fox - Pan Trinbago